3000 miles, 71 days
Canada to Mexico to Utah by bicycle
"inconceivable!"

Friday, April 18, 2008

Cape Lookout to Otter Rock, OR - 52.8 miles

It was SO cold this morning! I was glad to eat my hot soup and quickly packed up. Lots to do today so I needed an earlier start. I was disappointed not to meet the other biker as they were still snug in their tent as I left the park. I started with a three mile climb to the top of Cape Lookout. There was a hang-glider getting set up at the top, but he was hoping for a lull in the driving rain before he took off! At the small grocery in Sandlake, the clerk informed me that there was snow in the forecast...not so good for me! Snow at the ocean in mid-April. go figure. I pretty much froze today. The miles and miles of sand dunes dotted with pine trees and wild grasses were another highlight today. Sadly, it was only a two bungee day.

Cape Kiwanda was a fun stop and I had to laugh at the surfer who was having a blast in the roaring surf and giant waves. I sat on a large piece of driftwood and enjoyed the busy scene around me but didn't climb to the top of the dunes. Where did my sense of adventure go? Every time I get off the bike and walk around to look at things I keep thinking about the miles I have left for the day and bemoaning the energy I'm expending to go and look at the sights! I feel pretty lazy and have resolved to be more energized in the near future. We'll see how that goes! Back on the bicycle to Lincoln City, where I visited the Pig N Pancake for another big lunch. Lincoln City had quite a bit of traffic, but once through, there were some spectacular views at little parks all along the way. I stopped briefly to watch the whale-watchers at Depoe Bay, but the water was pretty rough and I'm not sure if they could really see much even with binoculars. It wasn't far from there to Otter Rock, where I was excited to meet some relatives for the first time! We had a great evening of exchanging stories and working our way through the family tree.

-from Otter Rock, OR

No comments:

SiteMeter

Subscriptions

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Western Exploration Route Map