3000 miles, 71 days
Canada to Mexico to Utah by bicycle
"inconceivable!"

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Birch Bay SP to Anacortes, WA - 61.7 miles

It was a long, cold night. About 3 am, there was a huge fight between a couple of campers that went on for about an hour and featured a great deal of yelling before it finally was over. Sleep was disturbed early in the morning by the birds. No need for any other alarm clock! It was about 39 degrees when I got going and my feet were pretty frozen. Some light rain showers to start off the day accompanied by a lot of sorrow about my uncle. My legs were feeling sluggish and I realized I probably wouldn't make Deception Pass SP like I had hoped. A stop at Denny's in Ferndale for a big lunch energized me right into a snow pellet storm which didn't last too long. I rode through Bellingham. It's a pretty nice city and has some great trails. Lots of bikers everywhere. Bison and buffalo sighting! Chuckanut Drive was very scenic with trees, lots of moss, and incredible views. At one of the scenic stops, you could see oyster fields... I never knew that there were such things before! Some extra miles were logged trying to find the right road in Edison, such a small town that it's amazing I even could manage to get lost in the first place! For me, no problem. :) It's taking some time to get used to reading these maps properly. Also sometimes the name of the road has changed from what the map says it should be, which doesn't help! Scenic fields with rich dark dirt, cows and snow-capped mountains in the background. I was really tired at this point, so I decided to try to make it to Similk Beach. The ride through the Padilla Bay Trail was spectacular and it was really interesting to see the tidal marsh and mud flats on one side of the trail, while on the other side, green fields and a flowing stream. I followed SR 20 to Anacortes and made it over another big bridge. Just a bit after, I was met by two cyclists, Chuck and Keith. A generous invitation by Chuck was followed by a wonderful evening with Chuck, his wife Terri, and Keith. I stayed the night with Chuck and Terri and enjoyed some delightful conversation! Thanks! :)

No comments:

SiteMeter

Subscriptions

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Western Exploration Route Map