3000 miles, 71 days
Canada to Mexico to Utah by bicycle
"inconceivable!"

Friday, April 25, 2008

Humbug Mountain SP to Brookings, OR - 58.1 miles

A saucy bluejay woke me bright and early this morning! A breakfast of granola and carrots got me off to an early start, though there was a lot of muttering under the breath about the cold! The bluejay inspected the packing up operation most carefully, and it seemed to meet his approval in the end. Great ride through the mountains and fantastic views coming into Wedderburn. I stopped at the Port Hole Cafe in Gold Beach for a much needed hot lunch. A double-bacon cheeseburger, fries and a blackberry pie, a la mode...yum! Cleaned my plate most thoroughly! It was a great boost for the next part of the trip, which included a big climb over Cape Sebastian. It looked worse on the elevation chart than it actually ended up being. I got to the top and thought...is this it? surely not! I was certain that I was going to go around another corner and it would be up again, but like the note on the pavement said, "just a warm-up". Pistol River looked like an interesting place, with many-colored dunes and grasses. Being in one of my time-stingy modes, I kept riding, but would have enjoyed hanging out for the day there. Further on, I met Joel, a not-very-well-prepared cyclist heading north. He had set out a few days earlier without raingear. It poured and then he had a flat and he didn't have anything to fix that either, so he ended up hitching a ride back into Brookings and was starting out again. He was of the "walk up all the hills" philosophy, but I didn't think any of it sounded like much fun. It takes all kinds, I guess. Another long climb to Cape Ferrelo and a wonderful, soaring descent! At the Brookings Fred Meyers, my cashier told me to look out for Ranger Dean in the state park if I had any trouble. Very kind! Dinner of bagels and cream cheese--I really miss milk products!!!

-from Garberville, CA

No comments:

SiteMeter

Subscriptions

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Western Exploration Route Map