3000 miles, 71 days
Canada to Mexico to Utah by bicycle
"inconceivable!"

Thursday, April 24, 2008

North Bend to Humbug Mountain SP, OR - 65.6 miles

I had to make up the lost miles from the day before, so I got an early start. The sky threatened rain, but I outran it and enjoyed a beautiful day. The Seven Devils Road was a fantastic ride and I enjoyed reading the many funny comments left on the road obviously for cyclists. It looked a lot like the woods of Washington which was surprising after all the coastline I've been seeing recently. A stiff climb led to a fantastic descent on Whiskey Run Lane. "Let the fun begin" said the note on the road! Onto Bandon, my new favorite town. It helps the scenery so much when it's not pouring! The Face Rock viewpoint was a lovely little stop and I enjoyed a picnic lunch later on the roadside. There were no bungees today...maybe the rain is related to the bungees? Just a thought. :) An interesting sight on the road today was a mini-van pulling a small cannon...make of it what you will. I got the full range of scenery today: ocean, dunes, forest, mountains, lakes, rivers, rugged cliffs and sandy beaches. I could just go on and on about the sunshine, but suffice it to say that I was VERY grateful! I arrived in plenty of time to Humbug Mountain SP and set up in a lovely spot at the hiker/biker camp. I've come to enjoy the solitude of these campsites set apart, usually in a lovely spot. Much nicer than the regular tent sites. Some great road names to add to the collection:
Wind Jammer Ln.
Whale Watch Way
Tish-a-tang Rd.
Qua-Mah Rd.
Stonecypher Rd.

-from Gold Beach, OR

2 comments:

Maria said...

Glad to hear you got some sunshine. Only a little ways until California!! Chris and I are keeping you in our thoughts always.

And by the way, you have SO become my hero. But I can't start a blog because I don't have nearly as many interesting things to write about! ;)

Love you,
Maria

Anonymous said...

Hi Laisha! This is your friend, Ed, from B&N. Glad to hear you are having a great trip!! Tomorrow is my last day at B&N!!...YAY! I think I told you but I am working at Emerald Downs (the recetrack) doing public and media relations. Doing some writing, filing news clips, and misc. stuff. I hear that let Charlee go...didn't do well as head cashier. Nice, eh. Take care and I will be following your journey!!

SiteMeter

Subscriptions

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Western Exploration Route Map