3000 miles, 71 days
Canada to Mexico to Utah by bicycle
"inconceivable!"

Monday, April 14, 2008

Toledo to Cowlitz-Wahkiakum County Line Park, WA - 41 miles

Yesterday I spent a lot of time thinking about dog chases and road names. More to follow on the road names. I've now got quite an interesting collection! Priscilla asked me if I was missing people yet, and it's true that I've been talking to Camille a lot lately. She's the perfect companion and always agrees with me! :) It was windy when I set up my tent last night, so I put out my guy lines to steady the tent, and came up one stake short...how did that happen? 1st bloody ankle yesterday. It's hard to keep the bike steady sometimes with all that gear loaded on and Camille has a tendancy to make a run for it on her own! Got up at 7:30 this morning and promptly crawled right back in the tent. It's raining pretty hard. A wet tent is never fun to pack. I decided to eat most of my food supplies so I wouldn't have so much to carry... Breakfast ended up being leftover Ritz crackers, a bag of trail mix and kiwi gatorade. Finally set off at almost 11, but I don't have far to go today. Rode to Castle Rock, WA and stopped for lunch. It started to hail! Glad I was indoors! I sat by the fireplace and listened to Beethoven piano sonatas while I wolfed down a double bacon cheeseburger, fries and cottage cheese. It was a long, grueling uphill climb to Coal Creek. Not only that, but I had a headwind and braved ice and rain showers on the way up as well. Halfway up one of the many climbs, a van going the opposite way stopped to tell me that Brownie, a dog at the top of the hill, was very fond of attacking cyclists, and told me what to tell her! As he drove off, a dog chased him down the hill, and I never did meet Brownie... There was a glorious downhill from Coal Creek (population 32) but it was freezing. Once on Highway 4, I enjoyed many amazing views of the Columbia River. It's part of the Lewis and Clark trail, so I spent a lot of time imagining what it must have looked like when they traveled through. It's a wonderful ride, but not much of a shoulder, so time is spent alternately enjoying the scenery and keeping a watchful eye to avoid being run over. A campground materialized right on the river at a historic Lewis and Clark spot. Beautiful black sand beach and quiet forests. A pan of hot cocoa soon warmed me up and I enjoyed watching the ships pass by as the sun set.

-from Tillamook, OR

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Training persistence for fishing accomplishment. Each and every remarkably prolific man or woman who fish understands how to calmly hang on out your fish, and lets them mouthful anytime. Make plans to ensure you're comfortable when you hang on. The less you attempt to speed the full sport fishing approach, the more your chances of using a bountiful haul. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Illnerev5ss[/url]

SiteMeter

Subscriptions

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Western Exploration Route Map